Facebook Killer

Cops Face Probe Over Ashleigh Facebook Killer


The police force which was monitoring a serial sex attacker before he raped and murdered a 17-year-old girl has referred itself to the complaints watchdog.

Merseyside Police were supposed to be keeping track of Peter Chapman but after realising he had vanished last year, it took them nine months to issue a national wanted alert.

The force carried out an internal review after he was arrested over the murder of Ashleigh Hall in October.

But after Chapman’s conviction, Merseyside Police decided the case needed to be investigated by the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC).

A spokesman said the decision to refer the case was “in view of the public interest and concerns” and to ensure “complete transparency”.

The IPCC is now assessing whether to investigate the force’s conduct.

Chapman, who was sentenced to a minimum of 35 years in jail, had last been seen by police at his home on August 29, 2008.

He was next spoken to by officers on September 24 that year about a forklift truck course he was doing.

Ashleigh Hall

Ashleigh Hall was found dead in a field in Sedgefield after meeting Chapman online

Merseyside Police said that, up to this point, he “had remained fully compliant with his registration requirements” – placed on him by being on the sex offenders register.

Police visited his home on January 6, 2009, to discuss a traffic matter but he was not in.

A month later different officers were supposed to visit him in line with his sex parole checks but again he was not there.

Merseyside Police maintains that officers then worked to establish his whereabouts locally.

But it was not until September last year – just a month before he murdered Ashleigh – that the police issued a nationwide wanted alert.

She was 17 and he knew exactly what he was doing and there was no remorse whatsoever.

Andrea Hall, speaking after Chapman was sentenced

The force referred its handling and review of the Chapman case to the IPCC after the Home Secretary demanded answers.

Alan Johnson called on the police to “respond” and said lessons “needed to be learned” following Ashleigh’s murder.

Her mother, Andrea Hall, called for closer monitoring of released criminals.

Speaking on television show This Morning, Mrs Hall said: “He took my daughter.

“He shouldn’t be allowed human rights; he’s not human, is he?

“How is he human? He murdered my daughter.”

“She was 17 and he knew exactly what he was doing and there was no remorse whatsoever.

“He had it planned… and she was such a lovely girl and that’s probably why he targeted her.”

Mrs Hall said her other three young daughters will now never be allowed to use social networking sites.

source: sky news

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s